Super Bowl Menu Items
Let’s face it Super Bowl is about the game and FOOD! The Super Bowl party is a big deal and you need to serve delicious (and maybe not so health conscious – just this one day – food). Let us help! We have a ton of Super Bowl Food Ideas for your party.
Every NFL Super Bowl party deserves an excellent party menu with super bowl food items that your guests will never forget, otherwise it wouldn't be a SUPER super bowl party! Careful attention to party planning can either make or break your party. Your NFL friends and fans will never forget that you have the know-how to prepare, plan and host the greatest super bowl party they've ever been to.
Planning a super bowl party takes time so try some of these ideas for party planning, from the appetizer to the main course to the dessert and the beverages. Party planning entails attention to detail so start with a list of super bowl food ideas. With your list in hand it's time to shop. What are your guests favorites? You could always ask or just pick your husbands brain, although you probably have a pretty good idea of what he loves already.
Did we miss something (I am sure we did) – post your idea on our Facebook Wall: JohnnyLewsSports we will add it and give you all the credit. Let us know your name, city and favorite team and you will make the cut for the next year’s food roster.
Appetizers are a must, especially if your super bowl guests arrive early. If you have many guests, setting up a buffet table may be the easiest way to serve guests. Friends and fans will drool when they see a spread on your table. Purchase a variety of crackers and buy canned cheese so they can be creative, swirling cheese on their crackers themselves. Of course you may want to add a dish of cheddar cheese and maybe some pepperoni slices too.
– the number one food item for Super Bowl, so much so the cost of Chicken Wings doubles the week before and of Super Bowl. If you are making them buy them early or you will end paying a lot more. Pizzerias and restaurants buy in bulk and typically will not raise their prices during Super Bowl. But, remember to order early – maybe if a day or two before Super Bowl Sunday. Some busy pizza places are over-run and turn down business on this the biggest day for chicken wings.
Chicken Wing Dip
– can’t get enough of this not so healthy delicacy (remember it’s only one day) make a dip that contains the signature blue cheese and hot sauce taste.
- Taco chips and a seven layer cold dip or a bean dip, hot from the oven, are both delicious ideas for an appetizer. You'll need refried beans, plenty of grated cheese, black olives, diced peppers, onions and tomatoes, sour cream and salsa. You can layer these super bowl menu items in a large casserole dish and bake until the cheese is melted. The seven layer cold dip is delicious too. Just leave out the beans and layer the sour cream, diced peppers and onions (or scallions), diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, black olives and salsa for an excellent dip for taco chips.
Not Your Average Nut
- Candied pecan or walnuts are a delicious appetizer too and they're not hard to make. Melt a cup of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan, add nuts and spread on a cookie sheet for a half hour to harden. Double the recipe for a large crowd of guests. Pour into a pretty serving bowl and add to your buffet table.
Oldie but Goodie
- Chex party mix is also a favorite and this recipe has been used by party planners for years. Depending on the number of guests you have, you'll need 3 cups each of corn, wheat and rice chex cereal, a cup of mixed nuts, a cup of pretzel sticks and a cup of raisins, 6 tablespoons of butter or oleo, 3 tablespoons of worchester sauce and 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Bake in a 350 degree oven until hot.
Pigs in a Blanket
– Mini hot dogs rolled in a pastry (side of mustard)
- Our famous hot crab dip is uper simple. Sautee some onions and garlic, in a bowl soften in microwave a Pack Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, mix in onions, garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese and canned crab. Keep warm in a small crock pot and serve with chips or pita bread.
– Yes these still are a huge hit with the little ones (and you will see the parents digging in when no one is looking)
Good Old Standards
- (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green & red peppers)
- (ranch, French onion, clam, hummus, salsa)
- (potato, tortilla,pita)
- (mixed, peanuts in shell for the game day experience) * ensure none of your guests have nut allergies – especially kids.
The Main Course
Game Day Must Haves
- As the game begins your guests await the main menu items. Pizza is always a must for a super bowl party so why not design your own football shaped pizza by placing pepperoni in the shape of a football in the middle? Add cheese in the center to look like the laces on the football and your guests won't forget that you are wonderfully creative! Another main menu item that will fill your guests bellies are baby back ribs and chicken wings. Order out or make your own. There are some great buffalo wing recipes out there or you can purchase a package of buffalo wing sauce from the grocery.
Sausage & Cheese
- Most people love sausage and sausage cheese balls are too yummy to resist. You'll need to buy some ground sausage, one pound of hot and one pound of mild. Mix it all together in one big bowl, add 2 cups of bisquick mix and 2 cups of shredded cheese of your choice. Mix it well, rolling it into balls and bake at 350 degrees for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes on a cookie sheet. Once you've tried this recipe you won't be able to resist making it for every party you have in the future. Don't forget though, you must mix your ingredients well, rolling the sausage balls tightly so they don't fall apart in the oven!
- A quick and easy main course menu item that requires very little preparation is a veggie platter. Buy one from the store or slice some cucumbers, green bell peppers, broccoli, carrots and cherry tomatoes. Add some black olives for those olive lovers. Ranch dressing makes a tasty dip for vegetable platters so don't forget to add it to your grocery list. Your super bowl buffet table is now loaded down with a great variety of healthy food that friends and NFL fans will enjoy throughout the game.
- Easy! let your guests make their own –less work for you and everyone loves tacos!
- (side of bleu cheese, hot sauce, ketchup (kids))
Mini Roast Beef Sandwiches
- (serve with horseradish and mini rolls)
– little known fact that chili is a very popular super food item – serve with side of sour cream and shredded cheese, extra hot sauce for the more adventurous.
Team Themed Food ideas
– every city is famous for some food. Serve the food best known for the region the teams are from. Baltimore is in the Super Bowl – serve crab cakes, New England – clam chowder.
NFL Party Dessert Ideas
If your guests still have room for more, plan to set up a dessert table. Of course, many of your guests will be big burly men, so plan to add dessert items to your grocery list. Here are some great "must haves" that you'll need to add to your list of super bowl food items.
Not Just for Camping
- S'mores are always a favorite, and they are easy to make. Buy some graham crackers, chocolate bars and marshmallows. Layer the crackers with a piece of chocolate and top with a marshmallow. Place on a cookie sheet at 300 degrees until the chocolate and marshmallows are melted. You can easily cook these up during half time!
Snap Crackle & Pop
- Since you're already buying marshmallows, plan to buy in bulk and whip up some chocolate rice krispie football treats for your super bowl party. You'll need to purchase a box or 2 of cocoa krispies, depending on how many people you're serving. This recipe serves 12 people. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter or oleo over low heat, add a bag of marshmallows and stir until melted. Add 8 cups of cereal and stir well. Coat your hands with butter and make into the shape of a football. Draw laces with vanilla frosting. Either buy prepared frosting or make your own using confectioner's sugar, vanilla and milk. Start with a cup of confectioner's sugar, add milk slowly and stir until the desired consistency and add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Use a plastic sandwich bag with a hole in one corner to draw laces on your football shaped chocolate rice krispie treats.
Last but not least, "Death by Chocolate" dessert will have guests returning for seconds. This requires using a large glass bowl with a layer of graham crackers, broken up into small pieces layered with chocolate pudding and whipped cream. Repeat layering until the bowl is full. Now your dessert table is ready for your NFL super bowl guests!
- Jello Shots – this one can be in the appetizers section too! But we will keep the icon dessert item here. Substitute the cold cup of water with vodka and be sure to use the colors of the teams to match the colors of the teams. Make even numbers of each. Mix in some green (color of the football field).
Super bowl beverages require little work because, along with purchasing enough soda for an entire football team, plus possibly some alcoholic beverages, you won't need to cook a thing, unless you want to, of course. On cold winter days you may desire a nice cup of hot cocoa (don't forget the marshmallows!) and possibly even a nice cup of hot cider while watching the game. The recipe I use for "mulled cider" is as follows: 2 quarts of cider, 1 quart of cranberry juice, 1 quart of orange juice, 1 cup granulated sugar (or 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar), 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2 teaspoons nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until hot, stirring all ingredients thoroughly, then turn down and let simmer. This recipe can be made early to give it plenty of time to simmer.
Because the NFL super bowl is a once-a-year event, you may want to start planning plenty early! Take time to make a list, gather up your coupons, then check your sales papers and head to the store. There are items on this list that can be made a day ahead of time so you aren't bombarded with cooking all of your super bowl food ideas on the same day. Consider preparing your veggie platter the day before. Just cover it with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight. Make your baby back rib barbeque sauce and buffalo chicken wing sauce a day early. If you love to marinate ribs, prepare and marinate them the day before the big event. If your hubby is like most men he may want to get involved in this project! This will help lighten your work load on the day of the party. Chocolate marshmallow football shaped treats, candied pecans and chex snack mix can also be prepared ahead of time. You may even want to ask the kids to help.
With this list of super bowl menu items in hand, the grocery list is pretty lenghty, but you still may want to add paper plates, cups and even plastic silverware to the list. You will also need plenty of napkins for all of those sticky fingers! Add a bottle of tums and you're all set to roll.
Get the houst ready! Decorations are available at party stores and you can hit up the neighbor or search the garage for an extra table or two. NFL super bowl fans, get ready for a great party, planned and prepared and hosted by "yours truly"! Pick up your NFL Merchandise
from Johnny Lew's Sports! Every team's gear here to make your party even more special.